Almond Raspberry Cake - Neal's Yard Remedies

Wednesday, March 19, 2014



I love online shopping and amazon is one of my best friends so when I've been given a BIG voucher in December I didn't have lots of trouble finding out what I wanted to get.
On my list (and soon after in my shopping cart) was Neal's Yard Remedies book "Healing Foods" which I've been reading about on Essie Button's blog.(Click here for her review)




I liked the concept of the book, as it's not solely a cook book but more of an overview of fruits, vegetables, meats, herbs, oils and so on. Each page in the book is dedicated to one of these foods and tells you exactly what it is good for, how you can get the most out of it and how you could use it. It's super interesting to see how your body benefits from different foods and you don't need to study nutrition to understand what is said.





In the back of the book are plenty of recipes, from breakfasts over snacks to mains! However some of those recipes use lots of ingredients that aren't that easy to come by and seem a bit complex to me. That said there are still quite a few easy peasy ones too, like the gluten free almond and raspberry cake.






Ingredients:

250g butter
250g caster sugar
5 eggs, separated
250g ground almonds
1 tsp vanilla extract
200g raspberries


Take a bowl and cream the butter and sugar in it, then add the egg yolk and the almonds and combine well. Finally add the vanilla extract.


Once you've done that, you'll need another bowl in which you'll beat the egg whites to stiff peaks (this requires some strong arm muscles!) Once you have fluffy egg whites you'll need to carefully fold it into the cake mix which will create a fluffy and light dough.


Grease a springform cake tin (25cm) and preheat the oven to 150°C. Now transfer half the mix into the prepared cake tin and add about half of the raspberries, then put on top the rest of the mix and add the rest of the raspberries (maybe leave out 10 for decoration) on top of the dough.


Now the cake can go in the oven. The book says it'll need 45-60 minutes, in my case it needed 75 minutes until it was all cooked through.








The cake tasted really good even though the raspberries quickly turned it a little soggy.

Here's what they say this cake is good for:


  • helps clear congestion 
  • supports healthy liver and kidneys
  • helps calm nerves 
  • helps protect eye health




I hope you like the recipe, let me know if you tried it and how you liked it!

Bon appétit! :)

You Might Also Like

0 Kommentare