Easter Weekend Food Ideas

Sunday, April 20, 2014


Happy Easter everyone! I hope you're all having a lovely weekend and maybe even some sunshine. Today I thought I'd share with you some recipes of easy to make and healthy-ish meals for the Easter holidays. I made these yesterday for the whole fam and it went down really well, everybody liked it.

So for breakfast I attempted to make 'Challah' which is a originally Jewish recipe for braided bread (which is also very common food around Easter time here in Germany). However the dough didn't turn out quite as I planned it and braiding was absolutely impossible so I decided to make three little pieces of bread instead. Even though the braiding bit was quite the fail I was still really happy with how the little breads turned out, so I decided to share some pictures with you anyway - you know keeping it real.. ;-)



Challah as it's supposed to be

My version


For lunch I then made roasted vegetable soup with garlic bread and loads of fresh veggies. It was the first time I tried this recipe and it will definitely not have been the last as it was soooooo delicious.





For 4 portions you'll need:
  • 2 big onions
  • 400 g courgettes
  • 3 carrots
  • 2 big potatoes
  • a bit of rosemary
  • sea salt
  • 8 tbsp virgin olive oil
  • 4 cloves of garlic
  • 50 g canned tomatoes
  • 1 stock cube
  • 1/2 l tomato juice
  • 200 g ciabatta bread
  • 50 g soft butter
  • 2 cloves of garlic
  • salt and pepper
  • baking paper

Preheat oven to 200°C (gas mark 3)
Cut the onions, courgettes, carrots and potatoes into big chunks (you can leave the skin on if you want but need to thoroughly wash the vegetables if you do). Put the chunks into an oven tray sprinkle with rosemary, add 1 tbsp of sea salt, some pepper and the olive oil and mix everything together well with your hands. Put the garlic cloves on top of the mixture (don't peel them!) Then the whole thing needs to roast in the oven for 45-60 minutes (mine needed 60!) You will need to stir the veggie mix once or twice during that time.

In the meanwhile, put 1l of water, the canned tomatoes, the stock cube and the tomato juice in a big pot and bring to a boil. Cut the ciabatta bread into slices and put them on a baking tray using a sheet of baking paper. As soon as the roasted vegetables are ready your bread can go in the oven (for about 10 minutes). The roasted veggies need to go into the pot as well now (take out the cloves of garlic before you add it), bring to a boil again and then blend it all together til you get a smooth texture. 

Chop up 2 cloves of garlic and mix together with the soft butter. Once your bread is ready spread your onion-y butter on top. Voilá!

As you can see I put a mixture of vegetables on the plate as well just to make it even healthier. This is absolutely up to you but I used avocado, carrots, peppers, celery and one small radish.



After all the soup and bread we needed a little food break which is why dessert was had for afternoon tea.





I jazzed up an old lemon cream recipe I once got in cooking class at school and made an Easter bunny version of it. Freshly out of the fridge it was the perfect afternoon treat.


For 4 portions you'll need:
  • 250 g curd
  • 4 tbsp caster sugar
  • vanilla extract
  • 4 tbsp lemon juice
  • 200g cream

 Mix everything - except the cream - together. In a seperate bowl whip the cream until stiff then add it to the mixture. I decorated with chocolate sprinkles and biscuits.
Super easy, super yummy!





I hope you liked my little Easter food ideas. Let me know if you try them at home. Have a lovely weekend and enjoy the long weekend off work.

Love,
Jess x

You Might Also Like

0 Kommentare